Start a new topic
Answered

Raycast inconsistencies

When building a raycast within a scene, when the raycast attempt to detect an object with a thin, cylindrical geometry, it inconsistently detects the trigger, where the raycast only returns the "Has Intersected" variable at very random parts of the geometry, even when it is visibly intersecting with the geometry. This issue repeats itself on other geometries, such as cubes, and seems to have no rhyme or reason to anything specific to the geometry or raycast. Is there a known fix to this?

Best Answer

Hi,

We were able to find the problem and the fix will be in the next version. Your test case (the box swinging around) was very helpful to find the problem.

Thanks,

Rémi

Hi Casey,

Could you please attach a test scene/mechanism which shows this issue?

Thanks,

Daniel

1 person likes this

Here's a test scene where i was able to recreate the same issue. In the scene, the raycast initially gives the flag that the collision is happening, however, as seen by the screenshot, eventually stops giving the flag even though there is a very obvious collision. The only mechanism involved is the "target" that I included within the zip file.

Bug.PNG
(53.9 KB)
zip

1 person likes this

We've verified this behavior on the attached scenario/mechanism. Advancing frame by frame, this scenario has the following consistent behavior:

Frame 1 - All sensors False

Frame 2 - Corner sensors True, center sensor False

Frame 5 - All sensors True

Frame 7 - Corner sensors True, center sensor False

Frame 8 - All sensors True

Center will flicker back and forth for a while

Frame 65 - Top left and center True, all others False

Frame 66 - Top left True, all others False

Frame 68 - All sensors False

All sensors are attached to their target, and we can see that they should be reporting True at all times. 

We were able to verify this strange behavior on two machines running the same version of the editor: 2018b 2018.3.0.42 build date 2018-05-01

zip

2 people like this

Thank you very much, Casey,for providing the test scene!

And thanks Seth for confirming the issue!

We will debug this issue and get back to you soon with our findings.

Cheers,

Daniel

1 person likes this

I'm just curious if any solution did come about, or if the issue is still being debugged

Hi Casey,

Yes, we are debugging this right now. Somebody here has had his head deep in our collision code the entire day  ;). I am sure we will find the problem in not too long, and we will then add the fix to the next release.

Cheers,

Daniel

Answer

Hi,

We were able to find the problem and the fix will be in the next version. Your test case (the box swinging around) was very helpful to find the problem.

Thanks,

Rémi

2 people like this
Login to post a comment