Start a new topic
Answered

Segmentation Fault (Ubuntu)

I'm trying to run Vortex Studio Essentials on Ubuntu, but there seems to be no way of making it work!

With Intel graphics selected (sudo prime-select intel) the software opens in a black screen then quickly closes. The left part of the screenshot is the terminal calling Vortex Studio through Intel graphics, notice that the cube drawing saying things about graphics shows up.

The right part of the screenshot is when NVIDIA graphics are used to start the software (sudo prime-select nvidia). No information shows up, segmentation fault happens before it.

Multiple NVIDIA Drivers have been tested (specifically 390, 387 and 384) but the issues persists.

Is it possible that this is being caused solely by the lack of RAM? The laptop has 8GB of RAM. Should be able to run it on some minimum performance.

Best Answer

Hi Alex,

That might be the issue. We did not certify Ubuntu 16.  There is a library missing (libpng15) and maybe some others are incompatible.  As stated in our release notes, Vortex Studio runs on Windows 10, CentOS 7 and  Ubuntu 14.

https://www.cm-labs.com/vortexstudiodocumentation/Vortex_User_Documentation/Content/ReleaseNotes/Vortex_Studio_2018a_Release_Notes.pdf

Regards,

Sylvain Giasson 
Vortex Front End Team Lead  |  Chef d'équipe Vortex Front End
CM Labs Simulations, Inc. 

Hi Alex,

If memory serves, not all Intel graphic cards work well with Vortex Studio. However it should be working with the NVidia GPUs. 8GB is enough to run the software, though we really recommend 16GB for both Editor and Player. 

I've bumped the issue up to the developers, I'll let you know as soon as I know more. 

Thanks for downloading Vortex Studio Essentials!

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I'll be glad the provide any information necessary. The issue persists. I've also tried with versions 2017a, b and c.

Hi Alex,

Could you please provide the complete output (saved as a text file) of the terminal when running with NVidia card enabled?

Also, what model of card do you have?

Lastly please try the following two things:

a) launch the application as root (or via "sudo"), to rule out any permission issue.

b) launch the application from the debugger (gdb) and send us the stack trace.

sudo gdb SimAppg

(gdb) run

(gdb) bt

Regards,

Sylvain Giasson 

Hi! Here are the files.

After looking a little through them and doing some searching it seems it might be a bug related to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the version I'm using. I'd appreciate if you could look a bit further into it, though.

The graphics card is a GeForce 920M.

Regards,

Alex

txt
(6.22 KB)
txt
txt
(18.6 KB)
Answer

Hi Alex,

That might be the issue. We did not certify Ubuntu 16.  There is a library missing (libpng15) and maybe some others are incompatible.  As stated in our release notes, Vortex Studio runs on Windows 10, CentOS 7 and  Ubuntu 14.

https://www.cm-labs.com/vortexstudiodocumentation/Vortex_User_Documentation/Content/ReleaseNotes/Vortex_Studio_2018a_Release_Notes.pdf

Regards,

Sylvain Giasson 

Login to post a comment