Start a new topic
Answered

Position of Vortex Human limbs

How do I get position data for the limbs of a Vortex Human?

Best Answer

As Marc said above, Vortex Human doesn’t provide individual body part positions. But I think you can fake it. Here’s how I would do it:

- Create a mechanism for your human.

- Attach the human graphics to it (you may be able to discard the human's built-in Dynamic extension).

- Make two parts - one for the body (with a capsule CG), one for the “limb.”

- Constrain them together using one of the positional constraints.

- And now for the hard part: Write a script that modifies the constraint so the limb part follows the position in space of the animated limb when a certain DI Guy animation is triggered. Since we don’t have access to the limbs’ exact coordinates, I don’t see a way to automate this, unfortunately – you’ll have to eyeball it.

Then use the mechanism as a regular human. Trigger walking/running animations when it’s moved. Limb position is now available via the limb part. You might find that you need to include a buffer area to your limb position script since the human may not always be placed exactly in the right spot. 

We haven’t tested this, but I ran the idea by a couple of developers and they don’t see why it shouldn’t work. Try it out and let us know!

Hi Alan,

Vortex Human has 2 outputs that can be used for position : World Transform and Head Transform.

The World Transform is actually the position of the feet.

There is no additional information so you would need an educated guess based on these 2 values and the current "Desired Human Action", input of the "Human Control" extension.

Regards,

Marc.

Marc Lievin

Team Lead | Vortex Studio

CM Labs Simulations.

Answer

As Marc said above, Vortex Human doesn’t provide individual body part positions. But I think you can fake it. Here’s how I would do it:

- Create a mechanism for your human.

- Attach the human graphics to it (you may be able to discard the human's built-in Dynamic extension).

- Make two parts - one for the body (with a capsule CG), one for the “limb.”

- Constrain them together using one of the positional constraints.

- And now for the hard part: Write a script that modifies the constraint so the limb part follows the position in space of the animated limb when a certain DI Guy animation is triggered. Since we don’t have access to the limbs’ exact coordinates, I don’t see a way to automate this, unfortunately – you’ll have to eyeball it.

Then use the mechanism as a regular human. Trigger walking/running animations when it’s moved. Limb position is now available via the limb part. You might find that you need to include a buffer area to your limb position script since the human may not always be placed exactly in the right spot. 

We haven’t tested this, but I ran the idea by a couple of developers and they don’t see why it shouldn’t work. Try it out and let us know!

Login to post a comment