Start a new topic
Answered

Tutorial forklift tipping over

Hi,

I have installed Vortex Studio Essentials and I have been going through the forklift tutorial in the documentation, and I’m at the point where I’ve connected a controller to move the forklift. I can move it forward and back no problem, but when I turn, it falls over half the time. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Best Answer

If the forklift tips over only when you turn, your issue might be related to a high center of gravity. 

Select the main body part and enable the Intertia Tensor accessory by right-clicking to access the Debug menu. Make sure you shaped the latter correctly (with the Resize Intertia tool) to set the center of gravity low and near the engine, just like on a real forklift. 

If the inertia tensor is still a sphere in the exact middle of the part, you probably forgot to hit the "Compute inertia and COM" button when you first created your part. Once this is done, you can shape it as noted above. 

1 Comment

Answer

If the forklift tips over only when you turn, your issue might be related to a high center of gravity. 

Select the main body part and enable the Intertia Tensor accessory by right-clicking to access the Debug menu. Make sure you shaped the latter correctly (with the Resize Intertia tool) to set the center of gravity low and near the engine, just like on a real forklift. 

If the inertia tensor is still a sphere in the exact middle of the part, you probably forgot to hit the "Compute inertia and COM" button when you first created your part. Once this is done, you can shape it as noted above. 

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment