Start a new topic
Answered

STEP support?

Hi, 

I have a STEP file I want to use in Vortex Studiom but it doesn’t show up  when I try to add a 3D model. Does Vortex Studio support STEP? If not, what’s the easiest way to import my model?

I have the Essentials version.

Best Answer

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for downloading Essentials! 

To load CAD models, such as .stp files, directly into Vortex Studio, you need the CAD Importer add-on, which unfortunately is not available for our free edition. 

This said, all is not lost! If you have access to the original CAD software, perhaps the model can be saved under one of the common graphic file formats that the Essentials edition supports, such as .fbx, .dae, or .obj (among others). Several 3D modeling software are able to open and convert CAD models. There are also many options available online for file converting utilities, some of them free. 

Answer

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for downloading Essentials! 

To load CAD models, such as .stp files, directly into Vortex Studio, you need the CAD Importer add-on, which unfortunately is not available for our free edition. 

This said, all is not lost! If you have access to the original CAD software, perhaps the model can be saved under one of the common graphic file formats that the Essentials edition supports, such as .fbx, .dae, or .obj (among others). Several 3D modeling software are able to open and convert CAD models. There are also many options available online for file converting utilities, some of them free. 

Thank you Marc. I'll try to find a converter online!

Login to post a comment