Start a new topic
Answered

Maritime Environment and Hydrodynamics Simulation Webinar Discussion

Greeting everyone,

We've uploaded today's Vortex University webinar on Vortex Studio's maritime environment and hydrodynamic simulation capabilities to our online video library. You can also stream it below:

The session covered the new fluid surface component introduced in Vortex Studio 2017a, which can be used to add water or other liquids to a scene without using wave models. 

Marc-Alexandre also presented the various features that can be used to create a maritime scene and add visual elements, such as ship wakes and surface decals.

I attached a copy of the presentation and the Vortex Studio files used during the fluid surface demonstration to this post.

Thanks again to everyone who joined us for the webinar.

If you have questions or feedback, post a message below!

pdf
zip

Best Answer

If you use a mesh geometry to define your fluid surface, it could have an associated node and graphic material to provide a glossy surface. If you enable reflections, you would get a reflection of the sky in it. At some point we will make it so the feature also reflects the surrounding environment, but there are a few things we need to set up first. It's definitely on the roadmap, however. 

Great presentation! I've been experimenting with the fluid surface object, and I was wondering if there was a way to add reflection to it, or if it's on the roadmap. It would go a long way to improve its visuals.

Answer

If you use a mesh geometry to define your fluid surface, it could have an associated node and graphic material to provide a glossy surface. If you enable reflections, you would get a reflection of the sky in it. At some point we will make it so the feature also reflects the surrounding environment, but there are a few things we need to set up first. It's definitely on the roadmap, however. 

Login to post a comment